QUINOA, BARLEY + COCONUT PORRIDGE
I’m often taking pictures of the meals I cook on instagram (follow me – claireowellness) because I love to share the simplicity of good, yummy healthy food.
As a result I often get asked for the recipes of certain meals – in particular, breakfast! So here is one of the most requested recipes I have.
1) Quinoa, Barley and Coconut porridge.
- Soak (at least an hour) 1 cup of barley and 1 cup of quinoa (I do a mix of red and white quinoa)
- Rinse grains.
- In a pot melt coconut oil, add the grains and toss to coat
- Add in fresh vanilla beans (scoop out from the inside of the bean) or organic extract and a dash of cinnamon
- Add in at least 1-2 cups of water (I usually just make sure there is 2cm of water above the grains)
- Bring to a boil and then drop to a simmer.
- Keep your eye on the pot and stir every now and then… it usually only takes about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Before all the water has boiled down I add in 1/2 cup of coconut milk or cream and drop the temperature to very low
- Add in more cinnamon to taste
- Allow the porridge to cool slightly and then toss in goji berries, coconut flakes, crushed almonds or cashews (any nuts really).
- Serve with another dash of coconut milk, sunflower seeds, honey or maple syrup if you like sweetness, your favourite fruit – I love to add figs – and a dollop of whole milk plain yoghurt.
This one is so easy to prepare the night before for work, package up and take your extras in a separate container (nuts, seeds, berries etc).
The grains keep me fuller for longer, as does the coconut oil, coconut milk and yoghurt. You get a little sweetness from the berries, fruit and alot of good fat from the nuts. Pure health in a bowl.
And if you want more, here are a few other breakfast options I’ve posted before:
Enjoy and saha to you.