PATTY CAKE PATTY CAKE! BAKE ME A (QUINOA PATTY) CAKE…
I love Quinoa. It’s such a special little seed. Pack with 8 essential amino acids (protein) that our body needs and cannot make. Not only that, it’s delicious, versatile.
I also love to cook and experiment. I find it therapeutic but I also love the challenge of trying to create something that I never have before.
So, this week I googled Quinoa recipes and found a few on patties. I like to pick and choose elements of recipes that I like and ditch the bits (or ingredients) I don’t!
Enjoy and saha to you!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa– red or white
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas + 2 tbsp water
- 3 – 4 tbsp chia seeds with ½ cup of water (you can use eggs if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp shoyu/tamari OR Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp dried basil leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 spring onions – diced
- handful of parsley
- ½ red capsicum – diced
- ½ red onion
- Dash of chilli flakes
- Butter/Ghee/Coconut oil
- In a fry pan heat 1 tbls of butter/ghee/coconut oil
- Add the cumin, coriander, paprika and garlic, stirring, 5 min.
- Transport all ingredients to a food processor and blend. Add more water if needed – you want the mixture to be a little wet/sticky so that it stays moulded and doesn’t dry out.
- If you have time, chill the mixture for an hour or so before forming into patties, for a firmer patty.
- Divide the mix into 8 equal portions and form into 3 inch patties – I just used a large soup spoon and my hands! If they are too big they won’t cook through.
- Lay evenly on baking paper in a baking tray. Bake at 180 degrees for 20 – 30minutes
- To freeze uncooked, place the patties between sheets of wax paper in a container freeze.
Serve with fresh yoghurt, slices of tomato (maybe make your own tomato relish?), lots of greens on the side. Or even with eggs for breakfast?
Do you cook with Quinoa? If you have any fun recipes please share!
Signing off with an exhale.
Pause. Listen. Live