MIDDLE EAST MONDAY: POMEGRANATE GLAZED SALMON WITH FENNEL + MINT SALAD
There are a few flavours that I absolutely love and remind me of home.
My parents garden is FILLED with fresh mint growing wildly. My beautiful mum would used to (in fact, still does) pick some mint from outside and bring it to me and say “smell this, smell how fresh and alive this is!” To this day the smell of mint always calms me down, like a lungful of fresh air makes you feel centred.
Pomegranate, in middle eastern cultures represents fertility and love. On my wedding day all our guests huddled around me as I very elegantly (not quite) hiked my wedding dress up and did my best to squash and smash a whole pomegranate with my foot (yep, I was still in my heels!) All in the name of love and babies!
So, today I bring you this middle eastern inspired dish. Honestly, it doesn’t have a name, I made it up based on the flavours I grew up on and what my taste buds were calling for! And they were calling for light, fresh and wholesome without being too heavy. I tend to reach for more protein during the cooler months but every now and then I need to ‘lighten the load’… you might be feeling the same!
This gorgeous meal is perfect for a Sunday lunch or a midweek dinner. The best bit? The flavours are sensational, but it’s so easy to whip up!
The middle eastern inspiration comes from the fresh salad with zingy flavours and the use of mint and pomegranate.
You are going to HEART this so much. Enjoy!
What you’ll need
- 2 medium sized salmon fillets (skin on)
- 1 large fennel – finely diced
- 1 pomegranate – cut in half and deseeded (I hold the 1/2 under water in a bowl and push the seeds out and then gently tap the back with a spoon to release the rest. You can use your fingers to ease out any stuck ones too)
- 1 bunch of asparagus, diced.
- 1/2 bunch of mint, roughly torne
- 2 tsp of Pomegranate concentrate/molasses (you can buy this in middle eastern stores!)
- Coconut oil
- 2 Lemons
- Salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan, medium to high heat. Quickly coat your salmon (both sides in the melted oil) and then sear for about 3 minutes both sides.
- Take the salmon off the stove and glaze your salmon (both sides) in a mixture of 1sp pomegranate concentrate, a decent squeeze of 1/2 lemon, a dash of cumin.
- Pop the salmon into your oven for around 10 – 15 minutes. You want it to be cooked properly but soft and flaky in the inside, so perhaps check it at the 10 minute mark, depending on how strong your oven is/isn’t.
- Place your diced fennel and asparagus into a colander over boiling water. Steam for around 5 minutes – 10 minutes.
- When the fish is done, turn off the oven and open the door – let it sit like that for a moment.
- Toss your salad together: Fennel, asparagus, mint, pomegranate seeds. Dress with a the juice of 1 lemon, a dash of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and pomegranate concentrate, lots of pepper, a kick of cumin and tiny sprinkle cayenne pepper!
Saha (good health) to you!
Join The Wellness ProjectGet free weekly insights & inspiration
- Get your FREE ebook: 21 Days to Free Your Mind, Fuel Your Body & Feed Your Soul