Episode 26: Doing Death Differently with Yasemin Trollope
How do you feel about Death? As the final frontier on our spiritual journey does it bring all the ‘stuff’ up for you? How do you feel about funerals and the way we send off our loved ones?
In this episode I dive deep into death with the incredible Yasemin Trollope – a woman who is here to do death differently through her new business, Rite of Passage Funerals. It’s not an easy topic – many of us struggle to even think about death let alone think about doing death better or differently. But it’s an important conversation to have because it’s the ONE undeniable truth. We will all die.
Yasmin and I dive deep into what it means to lean into death and to honour the experience in a more enlightened, intentional and conscious way. You will be surprised to hear that death doesn’t have to be such a horrendous journey, but a way to love life even more.
Yasemin Trollope is the Founder of Rite of Passage Funerals, an enlightened funeral experience coming to the Gold Coast (and beyond) in April 2018. Her mission in life is to bring death out of the shadows and into the light, to empower families to reclaim control of the dying process and organise funerals filled with ceremony, ritual, meaning and intention. She will be hosting workshops, sacred space healing groups and grief retreats to help support and guide families through end-of-life and into death, while also talking about how leaning into the inevitability of death can make you live a more fulfilled, purpose-filled life.
In this episode we cover:
- Yasemin’s story – how she found herself face to face with the industry of death.
- Yasemin’s fears around death.
- How having time and space to explore our purpose can lead to the most unusual revelations.
- Perception of death amongst the masses.
- Changing the way we view death.
- Taking death into the light.
- Dealing with the intensity of death.
- Confronting the inevitability of death.
- The gift that death brings.
- The surrender and life that comes by looking at death.
- Death as your teacher.
- How long it should take to grieve the death of a loved one.
- How Yasemin now feels about death
- Learning to come to terms with the reality of death.
- Questioning your emotions and looking underneath them.
- How to let go of the emotional attachments we have around death
- How to lean into the inevitability of death.
- Why leaning into death is important for our society.
- Empowering families to do what feels right in the death process rather than the ‘norm’
- Laying in state – the Buddhist philosophy that supports the souls journey.
- Ceremony, ritual and intentional death services.
- What a living wake is and how healing it is.
- Bedside vigils in the lead up to death.
- Embracing the unpredictability of the grieving process.
- Putting your own DNA on your own funeral.
- Bringing the community in and creating togetherness during the grieving process.
- The power of group energy and coming into circle during funerals.
- How death helps us feel more grateful for life.
- How Yasemin frees her mind, fuels her body and feeds her soul.
Listen to this episode:
Connect with Yasemin
Feel free to comment and share below. How do you feel about death?
P.s if you loved this episode, don’t forget to give this podcast a 5-star review in iTunes so I can keep on bringing you amazing interviews, insights and chats. I’d be so grateful to receive your feedback and comments, whatever they may be.
love + light,