A LESSON IN CHAKRAS
So, I’m back from my holiday in Bali and boy do I feel inspired and motivated. I have so many interesting things to share with you which you’ll read all about over the next few weeks.
But for today, I want to talk about Chakras. I’m so excited because this is a topic I love to love and I also get to reward you amazing readers with a gift.
Now, I’m sure you’ve heard about Chakras? Even if you think it’s a bunch of hippy voodoo you’d have to be living under a rock to have not even heard the term. Having recently undergone alot of energy work to deal with a few emotional blocks (more information coming soon) I’ve come to believe in chakras from firsthand experience, and not just ‘theoretically’ knowledge.
It is a very complex topic and one that you could spend hours delving into. Today, though I just want to give you an insight into Chakras, a beginner’s lesson of sort before we explore them further in the future.
P.s read on to the end because there is a fantastic giveaway from Tara Wolf Chakra jewellery on offer!
So – what are they?
Chakra means wheel or disk. They are our energy centres – and we have many, but there are 7 main chakras. Chinese medicine also talks of energy points within the body.
Where are they?
They sit along the spine. The spine, from an energetic level is called the Shushumna Nadi (the main energy channel). Each Chakras is mapped along the Shushumna from the base (near the coccyx) to the top (the crown of the head and just above).
Chakras are likened to lotus flowers with different number of petals. And like flowers our chakras can be opened or closed depending on the state of consciousness within us.
You like? You want to know more?
So, Chakras live on the Pranamaya Kosha. A Kosha is a layer within us. And the pranamaya kosha is our energetic layer. Each of us has 5 Koshas:
1) Anamaya: Material layer
2) Pranamaya: Energetic Layer
3) Manomaya: Emotional Body
4) Vijnanamaya: Intellectual Body
5) Anadamaya: Bliss body
The koshas are a whole other blog post (soon!) So let’s just sit with the knowledge that chakras are energetic.
More details on Chakras please!
- Located – base of the spine/root centre
- Sense – smell.
- Element – earth
- Trait – survival
- Relates to – adrenal glands, kidneys, spinal column and leg bones
Swadisthana – Orange
- Located – lower abdomen/sexual centre
- Sense – taste
- Element – water
- Trait – sexuality
- Relates to – gonads, prostate gland, spleen, reproductive system and bladder
Manipura – Yellow
- Located – solar plexus/power centre
- Sense – sight
- Element – fire
- Trait – will, personal power, self esteem
- Relates to – pancreas, liver, gall bladder, stomach and autonomic nervous system
Anahata – Green
- Located – heart/compassion centre
- Sense – touch
- Element – air
- Trait – love, emotion
- Relates to – Thymus glad, heart, lower lungs, circulatory system, hands and skin
Visshudha – Blue
- Located – throat/speech centre
- Sense – hearing
- Element – ether/sound
- Trait – communication and creativity
- Relates to – thyroid gland, throat, jaw, lungs, vocal chords and digestive tract
Ajna – Indigo
- Located – between the eyebrows/third eye centre
- Sense – intuition
- Element – space and light
- Trait – clairvoyance, intuition, imagination
- Relates to- pituitary gland, lower brain, central nervous system and left eye, ears and nose
Sahasrara – Violet/White
- Located – crown of head/universal consciousness
- Sense – knowledge/understanding
- Element – thought
- Trait – transcendent consciousness, bliss, knowledge
- Relates to – spine, central nervous system and cerebral cortext
Chakras are not fixed. They change and can be opened or closed, in excess of deficient. Somethings they are in different states depending on their innate personality, strengths, weaknesses. Not to mention that the workings of the chakras are interrelated. Strength or weakness in one can affect another – they influence each other.
As an example, this is my own Aura photograph taken in byron (where else) earlier this year. You can see the intensity of red around me with a little bit of purple, blue and white. This was at a stage when I was transitioning in my career and passionately moving forward with determination and focus. Apparently, my aura photo, showing Red or the Mooladhara chakra emanating out of me would concur!
I asked my amazing friend, meditation teacher and master reiki practitioner, Frenchy, to shed some light on Chakras:
Often when people have more energy in the upper chakras than they do in their lower chakras it results in being “ungrounded” or “flighty.” These people have difficulty focusing and engage in restless activitities, including talking excessively. When the energy is concentrated in the lower chakras feelings of suspicion, fear, and self-centeredness develop with little concern for the feelings of others. Energy work can help to restore and balance the body to a more natural state. When the chakras are restored to their full potential and power, each one supports all of the others. This is when our words and actions have more purpose and power and we are most focused to understand our vision.
(By the way, if you are in need of some energy healing, Frenchy is amazing. In three sessions my life changed).
I hope this has given you some insight into chakras if you weren’t already right into it.
love + light,