5 WAYS TO ENJOY TURMERIC FOR HEALING
Every year I get a cold of some sort. I used to get 3 or 4 when I was younger. I definitely used to be way out of balance. Now I like to see this annual cold as a reminder that I need to slow down and an immune system ‘refresh’. As a health coach and a yoga teacher I need to frequently top-up my knowledge bank through studying, workshops and courses. I like to see my little colds as my immune systems way of ‘topping up’ and getting up to scratch with all the new bugs out there and rebulding its defense system!
That being said, I also see my little annual cold as a chance to practice what I preach. No drugs – no cold and flu tablets. Nothing but healing through natural remedies.
Amongst the arsenal that I use – seriously, I bring out all the stops – I get very cosy with turmeric. I try and use turmeric on a daily basis, but it’s exceptionally powerful when you are run down!
Turmeric – this little golden nugget is such a gem (puns intended) and I just had to share with you it’s incredible healing power.
So, what makes turmeric so special? It’s the active ingredient Curcumin which does all the wondrous work.
Turmeric is also armed up with a wide range of antioxidant, antiviral, antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic, and anti-inflammatory properties. That is alot of ‘ANTI’s’. Not to mention Vitamins C, E, K and a host of awesome minerals too.
What are some natural benefits of turmeric?
When it comes to colds/flus turmeric helps by:
- alleviating coughs
- clearing mucus and congestion
- opening the passageways to breather easier
- reduces inflammation/sore throats
There are so many other benefits though:
- Improves digestion by producing bile which helps breakdown fat. When are digestion is off so is our immune systems
- Relieves symptoms of gas and bloating
- Wards off inflammatory diseases and prevent cancer
- Drops blood sugar levels – great for diabetes sufferers
- Speeds up wound healing
- Improves asthma
- Clears skin conditions
- Purifies the blood
- Aids in weight management
4 Ways to enjoy turmeric for health and healing:
- Add grated turmeric root to your food – add to soups, stews, stir-frys and curries
- Steam under a towel over a bowl of hot water with turmeric root or powder added in to clear nasal passages and upper respiratory tract
- Make a traditional ayurvedic tea to relieve colds and congestion: boil up 1tsp turmeric, 2 black peppercorns, 1inch grated ginger, 2 cracked cardamom pods in rice milk (raw dairy or almond is good too).
- Add to a green smoothie: 1 handful of greens (kale/silverbeet/chard), 1/2 lemon, 1 inch of ginger, 1 inch of turmeric root or 2 tsp of powder, 1 cup of coconut water, 2 tbls of chia seeds, 1/2 green apple, 2tbls of coconut oil, 1 heaped tsp of green power (I love Good Green Stuff from Nu Zest or Super Greens from Synergy Natural are my favourite!) For extra protein I add Sunwarrior brown rice protein powder.
- Turmeric face mask: to clear acne.2tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tsps of lemon juice, 1 tbls of yoghurt. Apply the past evenly leave for 15 minutes. Wash off with cool water.
Your turn: Do you use turmeric often? Share below so we can all discover new ways to use this amazing herb!
love + light,
Join The Wellness ProjectGet free weekly insights & inspiration
- Get your FREE ebook: 21 Days to Free Your Mind, Fuel Your Body & Feed Your Soul