3 HEALTHY MOORISH TREATS
Lately my ‘eating regime’ looks a little something like this.
- A BIG Energy Dense Smoothie
- Late breakfast (11ish)
- Late lunch/early dinner (3 – 5pm)
It changes up of course, it’s not strictly this everyday, but you get the idea.
Not, I’ve never been an excessive snacker, but I’ve found lately I’m hungrier than normal. Not sure why but I just need a little sumin-sumin in between my main meals. Usually after the late lunch/early dinner.
Now to mention I have alot of clients attending sessions in my office now (it must be the wallpaper?). So I like to serve up little treats.
Here are three little snacks that I love. A couple are adapting from the gorgeous Sarah Wilson’s I Quit Sugar Cookbook.
1) ABC + Coconut Brittle
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup melted ABC nut butter
- 2 tbls coconut flakes – I blend these up so they are quite fine
- 2 tbls rice malt syrup
- dash of salt
- 2 tbls cacao nibs
- 2 tbls crushed nuts
- 1 tbls tahini
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tbls coconut cream
Mix all ingredients. Spread out onto baking paper on a flat plate/tray. Place in freezer and then snap into pieces after about 20 – 30 minutes. I keep in the freezer ready for a snack
2) Goji-Cacao Tahini Protein Balls
- 4tbls Caca0
- 1 handful of Goji berries
- 3-4 Dates
- 2 tbls Tahini
- 2 tbls SunWarrior Protein Powder
- 1 tbls Coconut Oil
- Large handful of almonds + cashews
- Dash of vanilla powder
- 1 tbls rice malt syrup if needed
Blend all dry ingredients first. When well grounded add in oil, tahini and rice malt syrup. Roll into balls and place in fridge in a plastic container between sheets of baking paper so they don’t stick. This is also nice sans cacao for a choc-free flavour
3) Basil Pesto crackers
- 1/2 cup each of Chia seeds sesame seeds and pepitas (I’ve used 1 egg before when I’ve run out of chia seeds)
- 1/2 cup of almond meal (I use the leftover from making almond milk) or pre-ground
- A dash of salt + pepper
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- Shredded Parmesan
Combine all ingredients, except the seeds, into a bowl. Whisk up with your stab mixer or blend in your processor and then add the seeds.
Spread out onto a lined tray. Use a spatula to pat it down to about 1/2 cm thick. Bake for 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees. Remove, slice it into crackers, flip and bake for another 25minutes. When it’s done (check to see they are crunchy and golden brown) turn the oven off, sprinkle parmesan all over and let it melt on. Cool and store in the fridge. Serve with any dip or have on their own!
I hope you enjoy these delicious treats, knowing that they are 100% guilt-free!