3 FLAVOURSOME SIDE DISHES READY IN 10 MINUTES!
I’m always telling my clients to keep it simple. Gourmet food and extravagant meals are best enjoyed out with friends – pay a little more cashola and revel in the experience. Otherwise, getting healthy is all about simplicity. For me? Well, if I can’t whip it up, bash it out then, I won’t do it.
One of my favourite fool-proof eat-well-easy tricks is to stock up on my favourite fish (or lamb, chicken, beef, beans – whichever protein source works for you!) and cook it up alongside a super fresh and simple side dish.
Uncomplicated. Delicious. Healthy. Quick. And, yep, these only take 10 minutes!
Who doesn’t want that?
So, here are three of my recent favourites!
1) Grapefruit + Mint salad
- 1 ruby red grapefruit – peeled and segmented
- 1 red or white onion, thinly sliced and (soaked in cold water first)
- 1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves
- Salt, pepper and olive oil to taste
Simply toss together and season!
2) Spicy Cumin Tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 whole punnet of cherry tomatoes or small, sweet tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- Salt + Pepper
First, dry rose the seeds until they pop/aroma is evident. Then grind in your pestle and mortar or inside a pepper grinder.
Heat pan with olive oil – low heat – add in onion, garlic, ginger and stir occasionally. Next add in spices, tomatoes and cook until skins blister.
Take off heat, add in coriander and salt + pepper to taste.
3) Green Goji Salad
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 2-3 tbls hemp seeds
- 2 cups steamed silverbeet and kale (or other dark leafy greens)
- 2 cups of diced steamed green beans
- 1/4 cup steamed sprouts
- Dressing: ACV + Olive Oil + Lemon Juice + Pink Salt
Simple toss together and season!
These little numbers will bring so much life to an otherwise standard meal. Serve with whatever protein source you like, enjoy as a snack on its own if you prefer and even get a little creative – mix up the ingredients and make your own creations.
For some other easy side dishes try these:
Do you have any fool-proof bash together dishes that perfectly complement in a meal in no time?
Enjoy and saha to you,